A wedding ring symbolizes a promise of fidelity and love and many couples consider it an important part of the wedding ceremony. But should you shower with your wedding ring on? Read on to find out the pros, cons, and alternatives, as well as cleaning tips to maintain the beauty of your ring.
The Pros and Cons of Showering with Your Wedding Ring On
Showering with your wedding ring on is convenient and easy, but it can cause damage to the ring and your skin. The moisture and heat of the shower can cause the metal to expand and contract, leading to corrosion and discoloration. The water can also get trapped between the ring and your finger, causing skin irritation and potentially leading to skin infections.
The Impact of Showering with Your Wedding Ring On Your Skin
If you choose to shower with your wedding ring on, be aware of the potential impacts it can have on your skin, such as redness, itching, and skin infections. Some metals can also cause allergic reactions, so if you have a metal allergy, avoid showering with your wedding ring on.
Alternatives to Showering with Your Wedding Ring On
If you don’t want to shower with your wedding ring on, there are alternatives. Purchase a ‘backup’ ring of costume jewellery for everyday use, or invest in a waterproof ring such as a silicone, tungsten, or titanium ring.
Tips for Cleaning Your Wedding Ring
It is important to clean your wedding ring regularly to maintain its beauty and prevent damage. Here are some tips:
– Store the ring in a secure, fabric-lined jewellery box or Wooden ring box.
– Clean the ring a few times a year using warm water and non-abrasive dish soap or baking soda.
– Have the ring professionally cleaned and serviced every 6-12 months.
– Look for a ring with a warranty from a reputable retailer.
– Remove your ring before engaging in hand-intensive activities and swimming.
– Avoid contact with chemicals in cosmetics and toiletries.
– Rhodium plate white gold rings and polish platinum and yellow gold rings every two years.
Final Thoughts on Showering with Your Wedding Ring On
Showering with your wedding ring on can be convenient, but it can also cause damage to your ring and irritate your skin. Be aware of the potential consequences and clean your wedding ring regularly. If you dont want to shower with your wedding ring on, there are alternatives such as a ‘backup’ ring of costume jewellery or a waterproof ring. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide whether or not to shower with your wedding ring on.